Monday, March 19, 2012

Pinky Promise




The age old saying of bygone elementary school days... if you broke a pinky promise... it was over.





In the past few days, I've learned that some people have broken their word to me, and lied to my face multiple times. I'm not okay with that. If someone gives me their word, I want to be able to trust it. Kind of like a promise. I know, I know. You're probably thinking "We're no longer in elementary school, you don't pinky promise anymore. People are human, they're going to break promises, and not keep their word." Its true, its our sin nature, but when someone gives me their word on something, it'd be nice to actually trust them to keep it. Let alone to then blatantly lie about it and make me the fool? No thank you.

So many broken promises that lead to hurt and heartache, broken friendships, and torn relationships. As I was thinking about this during my 9 hour car ride yesterday, I was thinking about the times in my life that people didn't keep their word. Sometimes it hurt me, sometimes it was just whatever. Depending on how big a deal that promise was, depended on the severity of the hurt. I was getting pretty depressed. Yes, people are human, and they mess up. But then, I started  remembering all the promises that God has kept to me. A quote from the preacher at church a while ago says "Whatever God says is a promise. And whatever God says, He will do." God keeps His promises, He will never break His word.

A few Sunday's back, the sermon was on the Promises of God, and how people have two choices when God makes a promise to them. They can either accept them with faith, or they can doubt them. Are you having a hard time accepting God's promises, and trusting that He will keep them? It's hard sometimes, I'm not going to lie. Over and over again, every single day, I have to remind myself that God wants what is His best for me. His best for my life. It may not be what I think is best, but in the end it is His best that's what I need.

10 Promises Found in Scripture
1. He promises eternal life.
      - 1 John 2:25
2. He promises to never leave you.
      - Deut 31:6, Hebrews 12:5b
3. He promises good plans.
      - Jeremiah 29:11
4. He promises rest.
      - Matthew 11:28
5. He promises to supply all your needs (your needs, not necessarily your wants).
      - Phil 4:19
6. He promises strength in temptation.
      - 1 Cor 10:13
7. He promises peace.
      - Phil 4:6-7
8. He promises richness in faith and the kingdom.
      - James 2:5
9. He promises everything (pertaining to life and godliness).
      - 2 Peter 1:3-4
10. He promises forgiveness.
      - Nehemiah 9:17b, Acts 10:43

No comments:

Post a Comment