Saturday, November 5, 2011

Take Time

Found this poem that a friend sent me way back in 10th grade. Brought back so many memories from highschool years. Its crazy to think about how much time has passed since then. Six, seven, eight years ago for some things. So many people passing through your life. So many memories that were made.







Take time to think;
it is the source of power.
Take time to read;
it is the foundation of wisdom.
Take time to play;
it is the secret of staying young.
Take time to be quiet;
it is the opportunity to seek God.
Take time to be aware;
it is the opportunity to help others.
Take time to love and be loved;
it is God's greatest gift.
Take time to laugh;
it is the music of the soul.
Take time to be friendly;
it is the road to happiness.
Take time to dream;
it is what the future is made of.
Take time to pray;
it is the greatest power on earth.

~Author Unknown~

It makes me stop and think when I see people rushing through life. Being a nursing major and working during the school year and then two jobs throughout the summer doesn't really leave much time for what most people deem as fun. But i've found that in order to keep your mind healthy, you need to take a little time to let yourself relax and regroup. Not a whole lot of time, or you'll lose focus on what's important. But otherwise, you'll burn yourself out too quickly.

"Take time to read, it is the foundation of wisdom."

One of the things that I am so glad for during the summer is to just sit back, relax, and read a good book. Sometimes I'm a typical girl and read the "inspirational romance novels," whatever that is supposed to mean...  but mysteries, suspense, and medical mysteries are my favorites.
Sometimes I really don't understand the point of romance novels though, all they do is give you unrealistic expectations of what a relationship is supposed to be like. Its not going to be picture perfect, and it certainly won't always be fairytale romance. Yea, they're ok sometimes, but old time historical novels, old westerns, anything having to do with the victorian age, the old south with plantations and before/during/after the Civil War Era are my thing. I remember one of the series I read back in 7th or 8th grade was called "The Brides of Montclair." It was the longest series I had read up to that time, I think it was like 13 books. Even though they were fiction books, I learned so much about the history of America through those stories. Going from right after the Revolutionary War, continuing up until the series ended after World War II the series took you through the lives of 15 generations of women. Such a cool way to experience history. After finishing a book, I would take bits a pieces of information and research it, to find out if what the author was saying actually happened.

When I was younger, I was a pretty good kid, but I used to get in trouble for one thing. Reading. Ironic huh? It never failed, I would always get caught reading one of my books when I was supposed to be doing something else. I used to use those books as an escape from whatever was happening around me. I could actually get so lost in the story, that I literally would not hear anything going on around me. My Nanna taught me to read my first book when I was 3, ever since then when she first started me out, I have an a profound appreciation for books.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching movies and TV shows... but there's absolutely nothing like having a book in your hands, and being able to lose all sense of time in the words on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment