Monday, January 23, 2012

Head in the Clouds?


Therefore, if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things of this earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 
Colossians 3:1-3




What has your mind been on lately? Maybe you're worried about a relationship, or a job, or life in general. I know for many of us, myself included, school takes up much of what we think about. We're into the second week of class, there's homework, assignments, exams; it all just seems to be piling on at once.  Are you stressing about it, worried about how you'll get everything done? I know its something I've been struggling with for the past few days. During devotions today I found this verse and it made me open my eyes, mind, and heart. Bear with me, because I'm going to take this verse a bit out of context for the moment and challenge you to take your mind off the things of this world (i.e. school, work, cell phone, internet, TV, facebook -- whatever may have your attention right now) and "put your head in the clouds."

Take 10, 20, 30 or more minutes and just simply sit -- and pray. During all this stress, what things can you be  and are you thankful for? Are they only good things, or what about the things that maybe didn't go right, but you learned something in the process. Thank Him for that opportunity to grow and stretch your faith. Are you worrying about things? "For He Himself is our peace" (Eph 2:14a). Pray about those things that have you so worried. When I'm worried about something, I'll journal a prayer to God, writing out anything and everything that comes to mind. I'll ask questions, complain, put down my thoughts and feelings. Sometimes it makes me cry, and brings me to the point that I can actually listen to Him and allow Him to change my mind and heart about something. When I write, I write anything that comes to my mind. Sometimes when I go back days or weeks later and read it, it doesn't really make sense. But God understands, He knows and He listens.

Referencing a previous blog post - once you decided that puzzle piece didn't fit - what did you do with it? Are you still hanging on to it, hoping it'll fit somewhere else in the puzzle? Have you looked at the pattern on the piece, is it supposed to be with this puzzle? Maybe you know it doesn't fit, and you've moved on, but that puzzle piece is still sitting on the table. You're still letting that little piece control your life. Its making you worry. Worry is a bit like that puzzle piece, it just sits there. It is utterly useless because it will not complete the puzzle. What piece of the puzzle do you have to let go of, and maybe simply throw away?

In one form or another, God will give us the answers to our questions. You can know He will answer because in the book of Jeremiah it says "Call unto Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things that you cannot even fathom." If you have a relationship with Christ, you can have the perfect hope that God will help you through anything. His plan is greater than any plan you could ever come up with, and He knows what is best for you.

"And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us" (Romans 5:5).

So where is your head? Is it among the things here on earth that have you worried, anxious and stressed? Or is it "up in the clouds" on the One who can give us perfect hope in His perfect plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment