Sunday, April 8, 2012

Waiting on God - Day 11

Read: Psalm 37

I think I've just found another favorite passage of the Old Testament. I'm sitting here letting everything that I just read sink in and give me peace.

The past week has been pretty stressful for me. My phone broke, my car was having problems, I had a migrane that lasted a week, a presentation, a test, a paper, problems and fights with friends. It was one of "those" weeks.

Some of my favorite parts of this passage.
"Trust in the Lord and do good;
Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord;
And He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him, and He will do it."
v. 3-5
"Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way"
v. 7a
"The steps of a man are established by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.
When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong,
Because the Lord is the One who holds his hand.
I have been young and now I am old,
Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken."
v. 23-28a

Challenge: What role does prayer, Bible study, and active ministry play in the believer's quest for patience? 
"All the exercises of the spiritual life, our reading and praying, our willing and doing, have their very great value. But they can go no farther than this, that they point the way and prepare us in humility to look to and to depend alone upon God Himself, and in patience to await His good time and mercy."
I completely agree with this quote from the devotional. While all these are good and God commands us to take part in each one, without patience and the trust that God will work in His time, we will not receive the maximum benefit of prayer, Bible study, and ministry. Its kind of like telling people that a certain ice cream flavor tastes really great, but you haven't even tried it yourself yet.

Patience and trust is the result of our faith in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment